Monday, February 14, 2011

Love is All Around Us

To quote Hugh Grant "love really is all around us" (just because I quoted him doesn't mean I like him; in fact, I intensely dislike him, but I really liked the movie, so I forgive him a little)

Throughout the last few months, and throughout this entire process I have had such a positive, albeit slightly erratic attitude about my upcoming departure and journey. I woke up with a heavy, sad heart this morning. As I ate my breakfast of various leftovers (currently boycotting grocery store, leading to hundreds of mystery Styrofoam clamshells in my fridge) I couldn't shake this overwhelming, and unusual sadness.
In the midst of my extreme downward dog in yoga it occurred to me, the much anticipated sadness of leaving is finally settling in.
The beauty of this sadness is that it wouldn't exist if I didn't have such amazing people surrounding me. As I sit here all I can think about is the incredible amount of love and support I have received from all of my family, friends, and community. I am truly surrounded on all sides by such overwhelming love from so many people. As I begin my final days in Atlanta I physically ache from love and appreciation for all the people around me. You have touched my life, made me grow into the person I am today, and shown me what true friends and true love are.
I love life for the beauty in all the things that surround me, from the gorgeous blue sky, to the sound of a piano playing, to the smiles of children; all are miracles we should cherish and appreciate daily. As a nurse I have witnessed both the miracle of birth and the pain of death. All of these things make us feel, and it is in this feeling that gives us our humanity, and our individual gifts as people.
My wish is that all of you know what gifts you are; both to me and to every life you touch. Enjoy this Valentines day filled with the love of your significant others, but also the love we create from within that surrounds us all, every day, every hour, every second.


1 comment: