Thursday, August 9, 2012

Do a little dance



GULE WAMKULU (THE GREAT DANCE) of the Chewa People
 
The Gule Wamkulu is a ritual dance practiced by the Chewa tribe in Malawi, Zambia, and Mozambique. The dance accompanies initiation ceremonies of young men into adulthood, but it is also performed at weddings, funerals, and then installation of chiefs. On these occassion, the dancers wear costumes and masks made of wood, straw and other materials, expressing a great variety of characters, which represent forms of behaviour as a way to teach moral and social values. 
(Info stolen from http://www.gulewamkulu.net/)
Still working on getting my videos posted.  I'm pretty sure its just not going to happen until I get back to the states.*








*this was an older post that, sure enough, had to be delayed until I returned back to American internet 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Katie!

    You have a very nice blog, and it is really cool to be able to read it. The stories, photos and videos are very interesing. The stuff you do as a PCV is amazing, hope you are having a great time!

    My name is Rajko and I am from Montenegro, small country in southeastern Europe. I was wondering if it's possible for you to help me with my project. I am trying to collect postcards from every country in the world, and I still miss postcard sent from Malawi in my collection. So far, I've managed to collect postcards from more than 200 countries, and having postcard sent from Malawi would make my day, and I would be forever faithful to you! Of course, I will be happy to send you back anything you would like to receive from my country, just let me know what do you need. I also have my (postcard) blog, where I show my collection day by day, you are very welcome to visit it: http://mnepostcards.blogspot.com/

    In the past, a lot of PCV helped me out with my collection. Me and my friends collectors exchanged postcards and similar stuff with a lot of volunteers who used postcards to teach their students about the world.

    Thanks a lot for your help in advance! Here is my email: rajkogolovic@gmail.com

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Yours faithfully,
    Rajko

    ReplyDelete