Thursday, May 26, 2011

DIY: The Meat Arm

I wish, I really, really, really wish that I could take credit for the meat arm. If I was that creative I would be doing something really spectacular like... well, I don't know, but I would have thought of the meat arm first.

Shellie and I are working on training the nursing staff for the very first "real" ICU in the country. There are limited resources so we require maximum ingenuity.
Shellie came up with this glorious creation. For those of you non-medical: reach down to your wrist, put your finger right below your thumb and feel for a heartbeat.

All you need is a slab of meat, some cardboard, an old hemapheresis pump and you've got yourself an artery! The nurses can jab the meat arm with needles for practice all day!

Take that Martha Stewart.
This is DIY Malawian Style. (Liz, I know you would like me to include this on ECAB. Feel free to link this post to your blog.)


No comments:

Post a Comment