Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Words, words, words

The Language Barrier: Ok, so I have always known that language just ain’t ma thing. I took four solid years of French and my vocabulary consists of…. Well, nothings even coming to mind. So when I first applied to Peace Corps, I just conveniently decided to forget about the whole word, speak, communication thing. Well it pretty much slapped me in the face the first day. My biggest issue is that for some reason I can’t not speak Chichewa without a thick Italian accent. It confuses the Malawians to no end.

Here are a few of my more amusing language slips.

Chabwino vs Chobani: I THOUGHT I was thanking everyone the first four days I was here… nope, I was proudly exclaiming “smoked chicken” instead.

Kutawa vs Kutamanga: I decided to get up early one morning and go for a run with a friend. I flipped open the dictionary in the dark for the word “ to run” so I could explain why I was leaving in the dark dressing in crazy clothing. I announced that I was “going running with my friend”…… or so I thought. I was prepared for her to think it was bazaar, I was not prepared for a horrified look, and a stream of loud words that were shouted at me. There was no way I could understand what she was saying, so I just pranced away, proud of myself for communicating. Flash forward several hours, only to discover I had NOT said I was going running, I was running away.

Kusowa vs Kusoka: I needed to get something sewn at the local tailor, so I grabbed my sister’s hand and announced to the family that we were “going to sew” assuming that they would understand this simple sentence; which they probably would have if I hadn’t actually said “we are going to die” and dragged my sister off into the village. My poor Malawian mother.

3 comments:

  1. I would have figured your accent would have resembled something more Jamaican.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I love this too, too much. More, even, than I love Bready and Kitten.

    I have seeds for you (lots of basil!) that I'll mail (illegally) early next week.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete