Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Dolphin Magic

Yesterday we did a "dolphin tour," which we envisioned as is incredible, magical float along with dolphins, make friends with them, frolic in the warm ocean water etc. etc.  reality was a bit far off from what I just described.  We were taken out in a boat at 6am with 3 other guys who spoke no English at all.  Driven about 20 minutes from the coast until we saw the first dolphin fin emerge, then all the guys simultaneously start screaming  "JUMP!" at us, so we throw our snorkeling gear on, jump from the moving speed boat right into the middle of a dolphin family, who to seemed to have no interest in playing and seemed to be a lot more interested in fleeing for their lives.  Jake, being a much stronger swimmer managed to keep up with the dolphins a bit.  I on the other hand could do nothing but try to keep my head above water, and start frantically yelling at Jake not to leave me, while trying to figure out how to use my fins, totally forgetting to put the snorkel mask on, and the entire time spinning in circles desperately trying to keep away from the speed boat motor.  The guys (did I mention they are all devout Muslims here?)  finally threw down a ladder and I hauled myself up, bathing suit askew, and sat there panting and spitting out sea water.  We picked Jake up, raced after the poor dophin family, and then proceeded to do the whole thing all over again and again, except that the next couple of times we managed to blend up a jelly fish or two in the motor, so when we were thrown into the water it was into a cloud jelly fish bits that are still rather uncomfortable.  I never did manage to do much more than splutter and flounder around in the water alternating between screaming at Jake to come back and the driver not to chop me up.  I think Jake may have gotten a bit more of the magical dolphin experience than I did.  Somehow, when planning to do this excursion, I managed to forget that I swim about as well as an aluminum lawn chair.  Below I've added much more magical pictures of our stay at Coral Rock Hotel.  I swear we are really enjoying ourselves, seriously.  








1 comment:

  1. That is hilarious! I can so totally relate. Katie, you express your experience of swimming with the dolphins as I wish I could have with the manatees or skiing or snorkeling in Greece. I was just too timid to tell the truth. You are so refreshing and allows the rest of us to be ourselves. Thankfully there are people like you still on this earth!

    ReplyDelete