Thursday, July 21, 2011

Today's update

Things continue to be tense here. Its difficult to decipher truth from exaggeration as the text message and emails fly between the expat community here. Many reports suggest that anywhere from 1-7 people were killed in the demonstrations, that many government and police houses were targeted and set on fire, and that the mob has been setting fire to fuel, tires, and whatever else they can get their hands on.
The hope was that this would fizzle after a day, however, all day there have been rumors of major looting and raiding going on in the cities and the mob vandalizing as they go.
Again, I am far, far away from all of this activity and remain as safe as ever. Myself and other volunteers wait anxiously to see what our status will be if the violence escalates or leaves the cities.
No one worry, throughout all of this there has been no hostility towards foreigners. The people's anger seems to be aimed just at the government and doing what they can to express their point of view.
I will continue updating when I can.

3 comments:

  1. Love your blog; keep posting. Sending hope and prayers to Malawi and to all those over there.
    Send me your address and I will get together a care package.
    Take care.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers, they are so much appreciated. If you send me a care package I promise to open it, get really excited about everything, and if there's anything super spectacular I will totally blog about it! I've been thinking of doing a whole series on what awesome things people have sent me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie Schneider
    Malamulo Hospital
    Private Bag #2
    Makwasa
    Thyolo
    Malawi
    Southern Africa

    ReplyDelete